The Hatewatch blog is managed by the staff of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based civil rights organization.

‘Right-Wing Youth’ Group Debuts At CPAC

By David Holthouse on February 26, 2009 - 4:07 pm, Posted in Hate on Campus

A well-funded new organization whose stated purpose is to launch a “right-wing youth movement” will make a splashy debut tonight at the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, in Washington, D.C. CPAC is billed as “the largest annual gathering of conservative students, activists and policymakers.”

According to CPAC materials, the group, Youth for Western Civilization, is one of the official co-sponsors, or major donors, of this year’s conference. The group has a booth in the CPAC exhibition hall, and its “Inaugural Reception” is scheduled to begin at 8:30 p.m. EST in the Palladium Ballroom at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.

In the past, CPAC organizers have shielded the reputation of their mainstream conservative enterprise by forbidding racist organizations like the Council of Conservative Citizens from participating. They may want to take a closer look at Youth for Western Civilization (YWC).

One of the group’s founders, Marcus Epstein, is a frequent contributor to the white nationalist hate website VDARE.com. (Editor’s Note: In Sept. 2009, Hatewatch was informed that Epstein now claims he was not a founder of the group, even though he had said so earlier.)

“Diversity can be good in moderation — if what is being brought in is desirable,” Epstein wrote in one VDARE.com essay. “Most Americans don’t mind a little ethnic food, some Asian math whizzes, or a few Mariachi dancers — as long as these trends do not overwhelm the dominant culture.”

Epstein is also the head of the Robert A. Taft Club, a Washington, D.C., group whose events regularly feature prominent academic racists like Jared Taylor, the editor of the overtly white supremacist journal American Renaissance.

Another Youth for Western Civilization founder, Kevin DeAnna, has posted several times in recent years to the Spartan Spectator, the website of the Michigan State University chapter of Young Americans for Freedom, or MSU-YAF.

In 2007, the Southern Poverty Law Center identified MSU-YAF as a hate group after it organized a “Catch an Illegal Alien Day” game, sponsored a “Koran desecration contest,” jokingly threatened to distribute small-pox infected blankets to Native American students, posted “Gays spread AIDS” fliers, called Latino students and faculty members “savages,” and invited Nick Griffin, the chairman of the neofascist British National Party, to speak on the MSU campus.

“The point is that all Christians, and white Christians in particular, don’t owe any deference to the self-defined racial separatist customs of other people,” DeAnna posted to Spartan Spectator in July 2007.

DeAnna was supporting another Spartan Spectator blogger who attacked the African-American holiday Kwanzaa for being “Satanic,” because it’s “designed to lead black Americans from traditional Christian holidays like Christmas and replace it with paganism.”

Somewhat ironically, online membership records show that last September, DeAnna joined a Fairfax County, Va., group of followers of Asatru, a neo-pagan religion popular with neo-Nazis whose adherents reject the divinity of Christ to worship Norse gods like Odin. “I listen to a lot of heavy metal music,” DeAnna informed Hatewatch by way of explanation.

DeAnna’s interest in Asatru may explain why there’s nothing in Youth for Western Culture’s mission statement that identifies the group as pro-Christian. “The purpose of Youth for Western Civilization is to form a right-wing youth movement,” it reads. “Youth for Western Civilization educates, organizes and trains activists on campuses across the nation to create a subculture that promotes the survival of Western Civilization and pride in Western heritage.”

Youth for Western Civilization appears to be a project of the Leadership Institute, an Arlington, Va.-based right-wing activist factory, whose training program graduates have included Christian Coalition founder turned über lobbyist Ralph Reed, über lobbyist turned imprisoned felon Jack Abramoff, and gay prostitute turned White House correspondent Jeff Gannon.

Youth For Western Civilization Executive Director Nicole Gonzalez Knowlton was recently the Leadership Institute’s Campus Services Coordinator. DeAnna is currently the Deputy Field Director for its Campus Leadership Program.

The Leadership Institute has a history of backing radical right student groups. In 2006 college-aged Leadership Institute-trained activists began reviving and radicalizing chapters of the Young Americans for Freedom at universities across the country, including MSU. DeAnna is the former leader of the Virginia State University chapter of YAF.

Youth for Western Civilization didn’t wait for CPAC before throwing its first event. Yesterday, the group sponsored a lecture by immigrant-bashing former Congressman Tom Tancredo on the campus of American University in Washington, D.C. Tancredo spoke on “Immigration Reform and the Need for Assimilation.”

The same topic is addressed in a recent VDARE.com essay that’s featured on the Youth for Western Civilization website. It lashes out at political analyst Michael Barone for “…claim[ing], despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, that the Great Wave of European (Italian, Irish, Jewish, et. al.) immigration of 100 years ago was assimilated without any real hiccups, and without changing the character of the country.

“But anyone who has watched machine politics in action in cities like B. Hussein Obama’s Chicago, or knows anything about the Mafia, or is at all familiar with how largely Jewish intellectual elites have utterly transformed American social and political discourse, knows that is nonsense.”

• SPLC Fan

No seriously though, read what William L. Houston wrote on YWC’s website about the “liberal” media bashing John McCain over his recent comments about undocumented (refuse to use the word illegal) workers starting wildfires to distract Border Patrol Agents. They interviewed a RANCHER and took his viewpoints as serious just because “he ought to know”? They recently had Tom Tancredo host a luncheon in which they bashed Mexicans for destroying American culture. Can we stop pretending that YWC isn’t at least hostile towards minorities?

There have been plenty of articles discrediting MEChA for their hostile rhetoric towards whites. Many Hispanics within my university avoid them all together because of that rhetoric. Although I’m not a huge fan of MEChA, I do believe they serve a useful purpose in organizing and planning marches for/against issues that strongly affect the Chicano/Latino Community.

• Caitlin

I am honestly curious as to what this group defines as “Western Values?” I am a U.S. citizen, born in Delaware and raised in N.C., and I couldn’t even begin to generate a list of what that would be. The fact of the matter is that this is a multicultural nation and that if we started enforcing some sort of Western value lifestyle two thirds of the population would probably move to Canada. Not gonna happen.

• Lola

Would you care to do an article on MEChA, a group that’s ACTUALLY extreme and racist? Oh, that’s right. There’s no white people in that organization, so there will be no articles branding it a hate group.

• gary brady

have you guys been investigating whats going on in south philly high,Asian boycott.

• Hans

It’s nice that you put followers of Asatru into the racist category. Thanks for besmirching my beliefs.

• Adam

Those arguing against this group have no valid argument. Other student groups center on other ethnicities (black student caucus, asian american groups, hispanic student assoc, etc). You are being intellectually dishonest if you single out this group because it is “western”, and I would even say you are bigoted. I reject your arguments. I dismiss your arguments. This matter is settled.

• http://------ LABYA

The German Nationalism must focus itself on getting rid of anglo-saxon influences from Germany and NATO.

• rhayat1

To Bran. It is true that most Americans are liberal – due to the incessant bombardment of liberal propaganda by the media, schools, politicians and government. Nevertheless, college/university campuses all over the country have converted themselves to leftist extremist camps. They have their own speech codes that favor non-whites and females. Their professors are often notorious for spewing anti-white hatred. They carefully censure their school newspapers to reflect only their own leftist world view. In many cases, their primary priority is not education but “diversity”. If, as you claim, it is Human nature to be leftist, then why would those universities feel it necessary to put so much effort into brainwashing? The same for the major news outlets and government.

• Bran

I couldn’t help but notice there are a lot of neo-con fucktards posting comments here. These kinds of morons have the audacity to declare Obama the next Hitler, yet which side has the [Hitler] Youth program? Give me a fucking break. The left aren’t the ones setting up brainwashing hate camps in order to recruit young people. The right has to do things like this in order to get followers because the average young person is progressive, tolerant, and liberal. They are forced to resort to these drastic measures in order to survive, and it goes beyond sick. The right-wing is mortified at the direction the country is going…well surprise cock-bags! Look back on history retards…progressivism always wins in the end, and whether you like it or not, human culture always evolves toward the left. Just look at Lincoln, for example. He was very liberal and progressive for his time, but by today’s standards he was a conservative. Hell, I’m in my thirties now, but by the time I’m in my seventies I’ll probably be considered conservative, though my views will not have changed much. It is the way of things. You cannot stop the tide of change, and the extremist right will disappear only to be replaced by the moderate right, who will become the new extremist right. This is how human civilization slowly gets better over time.

• Anti-Hate Activist

http://youthforwesternciviliza.....rsity.html

The student hate group hosted neo-Nazi activist Larry Pratt at American University. Pratt was fired from white nationalist Pat Buchanan’s 1996 presidential campaign, because Pratt was too hateful for even Buchanan.

• Anti-Hate Activist

http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/9857

The YWC chapter at Vanderbuilt is promoting a hate event.

From the article,

“The initial immigrants concerned themselves with things like American history, American culture, and they actively assimilated,” Saucier said. “Whereas now, there are those that say you don’t even have to assimilate, you can move to a Mexican ghetto or something like that and retain your same language, retain your same culture, root against the U.S. in sporting events, hang a Puerto Rican flag from your visor, whatever the case may be, and its not the same dedication to America that there used to be.”

• George

Christian religion is universal. That is why DeAnna became a pagan. You can identify yourself with your skin color, in which case you are a white skin worshipping pagan or you can identify yourself as a Christian. Cannot have it both ways. Same for blacks and everyone else.

• rhayat1

To Christy,

I don’t remember claiming that I speak for you. In fact I do agree with your last post in its entirety. This is why I have a problem with concepts such as slavery reparations, affirmative action, quotas and media bias against white society in general – all of those lump whites together and assume (as you say) that “all whites are responsible for slavery”. Similarly I do not hold all blacks responsible for my past suffering or even for the ongoing suffering of non-blacks via black crime. The primary unit of Mankind is the individual and nobody but individuals can be responsible for crimes or merits. In some circles, saying such things would get me labeled as “racist”. When I speak of “group rights”, I am referring to the right of every individual to be a part of something larger than himself and feel good about it. I’m Jewish and I feel good about that. Blacks should feel good about their heritage too. White Christians should feel good about their heritage too – and that’s where we find so many misguided people objecting. They feel that white Christians have no right to feel good about their heritage and their group. Those misguided people are haters and they should be more tolerant. They need to cease being cruel to white Christian children by denying them the right to feel good about themselves and their origins. They need to cease condemning all/every organizations that work to advance the interests of white Christians as a group.

• Christy

To that I would say, rhayat1, two wrongs do not make a right.
    Everyone has likely been victimized by something in their lives, some to more of a degree than others.
    I do believe that when people let their negative experiences color their outlook on life, they are putting themselves at a great disservice. I don’t believe we can hold a whole people responsible for the actions of a few. Those that do, it would seem, enjoy their victimization. This goes for people of all races, all nationalities, and all religions. It would be like holding all Germans responsible for the Holocaust. Are all white Americans responsible for slavery, all Christians responsible for the bombing of abortion clinics.
    I, for one, do not function well with a big chip on my shoulder. Those people over at VDare are expressing their opinions, as we are here. When opinions and talk branch into threats and violence, that is another matter.
    Free speech is a handy thing. I think we shouldn’t abuse it, and speak responsibly. We can say whatever we want, but we do have to accept the consequences that some people may disagree, and disagree loudly, which is their right as well.
    Yes, there are racists of all colors. I don’t dispute your right to think and believe as you do. What I do dispute is when you assume that because I am white, that you speak for me as well.

• rhayat1

To Christy,

Vdare certainly is not a hate group – and yet the SPLC does consider it a hate group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDARE).

Let me first give credit where credit is due. Thank you SPLC for publishing my comments and breaking with the leftist tradition of stifling all dissent.

I wanted to point out an important distinction. People who feel they are being oppressed – and who feel they have no voice – tend to get frustrated. They get angry and they fume over injustices they feel are ignored by the mainstream. I suffered, for 4 years, from forced busing. I was subject to extreme racial intimidation by blacks. I was attacked by a black mob (solely for the color of my skin – by which they took me to be Mexican), had a knife to my throat and was threatened daily. The mainstream media/establishment refuses to even acknowledge my suffering and the suffering of thousands of others like me. I’ve found sympathy and encouragement with vdare, Amren and similar groups that do not preach hatred or violence but are outspoken about the troubles that “diversity” has brought. If organizations like SPLC are truly interested in eliminating such groups, then you should acknowledge that there is a serious racist problem among blacks and Hispanics, that whites can (and are) victims of racism and hate and that racial/ethnic diversity does have its downsides. You should give the same respect to whites (as a group) as you give to other races and ethnic groups. You should be more sympathetic to those whose words might sound like “hate” to you but are actually the product of frustration and anger. Would you condemn a Native American for spewing venom about whites in the late 19th century after his village had been pillaged and his womenfolk raped? The only way you can bridge the gap between those you wish to convert and yourselves is to try to see things from their perspective – to be more tolerant and understanding.

• Christy

I went to VDare, and it doesn’t seem like a hate site to me. Although I did manage to find some hateful words, one can really find them anywhere. I really didn’t find anything there advocating violence, but then again, I didn’t read every single article.
    What I did find were innumerable essays by people who blame a whole lot of things on a whole lot of other people. And, it seems that if those other people would just open their eyes, and see things their way, America would be a beautiful place again. As it certainly must have been in time periods when none of these people were actually alive to witness this formerly perfect America.

From a statement on the website,published 12/13/2008:
    ‘DARE.COM is a forum site and will publish writers of any persuasion who are critical of America’s immigration disaster….We have taken great risks by publishing writers like Jared Taylor and the late Sam Francis, who can fairly be described as “white nationalists” in the sense that they aim to defend the interests of American whites’.

I for one, could care less if the ‘white’ race becomes a minority in America. I grew up in a city that had a racial make up of 70% black and 30% white. I was in the 30% that made up whites, so I’ve long been in the minority when it comes to race. So, therefore, I’m not particularly threatened by different races, but, apparently some people are.

• Christy

Hey Steve, the Obamaforum is a joke.

• rhayat1

A question for SPLC: is there ANY organization that advocates for whites that you do NOT consider a “hate group”? Another question: why is it alright for organizations to advocate for blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc. and you do not consider them “hate groups”? This is a serious double standard and it is one reason why fewer and fewer people are taking you people seriously.

• Ruslan Amirkhanov

No, they were nothing like that. The English were butchers of nations for a few centuries, including those within their “Anglo-Celtic” sphere. Paine’s claim is simply a fantasy.