The Hatewatch blog is managed by the staff of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based civil rights organization.

On-Again, Off-Again Neo-Nazi Jacques Pluss is On Again

By Ryan Lenz on January 29, 2011 - 12:01 pm, Posted in Extremist Crime, Neo-Nazi

Jacques PlussThe last time we met Jacques Pluss, a former history professor at Fairleigh Dickinson University who was fired after his ties to neo-Nazism surfaced in 2005, he was in the midst of a serious identity crisis. One minute, he was an avowed white supremacist proudly standing behind his statements, only to claim in the next that he was an academic sleuth infiltrating the world of racists.

That debate was apparently settled this week when the New Jersey State Police arrested Pluss, 57, on charges he threatened Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). Police began looking at Pluss after the ADL gave them E-mails Foxman had received from Pluss, who was charged with intimidation, harassment, weapons possession and contempt of a judicial order on Wednesday. He was held at the Bergen County Jail before being released on a $25,000 bail.

Investigators said Pluss’ neo-Nazi ties were unquestionable, and that he had frequently visited neo-Nazi Web pages.

It’s hard to imagine the jowled and graying Pluss, long a member of the National Socialist Movement (NSM) — currently America’s largest neo-Nazi organization — ever thought he could distance himself from his long history of racist diatribes. His earlier claims include reported statements that blacks “are not human” and that “each one of them should be liquidated, that is, killed immediately or after performing forced labor without shelter or food.” The professor, a devoted equestrian, also called Jews “the most insidious sub-human enemy of Western Civilization itself. … Liquidate them where you find them. If they hide, search them out and execute them.”

Officials at Fairleigh Dickinson said Pluss was dismissed because of numerous absences from his duties — absences Pluss denied. Instead, he claimed his ouster came after the university learned of his involvement with the NSM. On “White Viewpoint,” an online radio show, he responded to his firing by calling the school a “Jewish plutocratic university.”

Following his dismissal, Pluss wrote a series of essays to set the record straight about his “associations” with the NSM, the largest neo-Nazi movement in the United States. In his 2006 screed “Now It Can Be Told: Why I Pretended to Be a Neo-Nazi,” Pluss claimed that he had joined the NSM — and became a known spokesman in the movement — only to research a book on “the wacky White Power movement.” He was drawn into the movement, he stated, as a historian guided by French deconstructionists who stressed “the need for the historian to ‘become’ her or his subject in order to develop a relationship with it.” He even claimed to have sent the letter to the student newspaper revealing his connections to the NSM as a psychotic twist to end the experiment.

In the end, it was impossible to know whether Pluss was the type of racist who waffled on his convictions, if he was a split personality, or maybe both. Pluss’ own public statements only made the nature of his racism murkier. Six months after making his mea culpa, he told George Mason University’s History News Network that his confession was a lie, and that he really was a devotee of neo-Nazism and an active member of the NSM. At the time, he also claimed to run the American branch of “Stille Hilfe” (Silent Help), a group that set up after World War II to clandestinely help Nazis escape prosecution for war crimes. There is no evidence that Silent Help really exists or is active in the United States today.

Incidentally, Pluss’ arrest comes amid worries the NSM is planning a secret rally in New Jersey, according to One People’s Project, a left wing, anti-racist group based in Philadelphia. Daryle Lamont Jenkins, a spokesman for the group, cautioned venue owners to be particularly attentive before the April 15 meeting. “It is likely that they are using a different name to dupe a venue into hosting,” Jenkins said.

• Jessica trauss

PLUSS et al v. LICAMELI et al :: Justia Dockets & Filings

dockets.justia.com › … › Civil Rights › Other Civil RightsShare

Jan 25, 2013 – New Jersey District Court – Civil Rights – Other Civil Rights – PLUSS et al v. LICAMELI et al – Justia Federal Dockets and Filings.

COMMENT: Why not follow this?

• Jessica Strauss

It would be nice if you people mentioned that Dr. J. Pluss was sentenced in Bergen County Superior Court on July 27, 2012, and he received 3 years probation and 40 hours community service — a rather mild sentence, his supporters believe. Also, that JoAnn Nappi character sounds like she could use some help, herself. To my knowledge, Pluss’s mother (now deceased) never suffered from schizophrenia, and practiced medicine on Long Island until 1990, when she retired, living until 2005 or so. Schizophrenia almost always has an onset in the late teens or early twenties — so how could Nina Pluss ever have gone to college or medical school? Nappi’s story sounds fishy and inventive. And being a neo-Nazi does not mean that Dr. J. Pluss belongs in a mental hospital. Come on, now, folks. I do respect your position — can’t you respect mine? I understand that Dr. Pluss tried to post a response on your site a number of times, and it was never posted. Don’t you believe in “fair play,” or are you as biased as you claim Pluss is? You know, since you claim to monitor “Hate,” you could at least post a note about Pluss’s sentencing on your “Hatewatch” site. That would be better than nothing — the results of his case should be given some attention.

• JoAnne Nappi

Mathew Bright,
    Thank you, you said it better than I.

• JoAnne Nappi

Jaques Pluss belongs in a mental hospital.

• JoAnne Nappi

I worked for Nina Pluss MD for a couple of years and knew her for many more.
    Nina Pluss had Schizophrenia and if you
    step back and look at Jacques Pluss’
    traits and actions, it seems that he has mental problems.
    Why dont the very educated people around him realize
    this and get him some help.
    His problems are many and I’m amazed
    That he is taken so seriously.
    I mean no harm but open your eyes and see the illness.

• jgt2598

@Ruslan Yeah, when the government classifies something they normally just “redact” the document out of existence and turn it into “_____________ is __________ the_______…”, I doubt he could have passed the psych analysis to get into the US military.

• Ruslan Amirkhanov

Pluss also lies about his record in Vietnam. Apparently he has no military record at all. Of course he does the typical “my record was scrubbed” nonsense but this is false- military records are never so classified that they are totally erased.

Also I remember reading that Pluss refused to say the unit he served with, saying only that it was MACV(Military Assistance Command Vietnam), which included many different departments and units. I hope he can read this blog some day. My sources say watching Pluss go nuts online is quite a joy.

• Matthew Bright

Hate is the only form of mental illness that doesn’t elicit sympathy or pity for the sufferer, because it so often makes itself felt on a political level and causes everyone in society to suffer.

If this sort of thing was treated as a mental illness early on with intervention and the like, such as when that Matt Hale of the “World Church of the Creator,” decided at the age of six that he wanted to be the next Adolph Hitler, maybe we wouldn’t look at these sickos with such contempt and instead take a proactive approach to treating them. But then that would cause powerful interests in the US to lose one of it’s most effective tools for dividing society, in the pursuit of profit.