The Hatewatch blog is managed by the staff of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based civil rights organization.

Radical Campus Youth Group Attacks Another Alleged Rape Victim

By Mark Potok on July 7, 2011 - 5:02 pm, Posted in Extremist Propaganda

Youth for Western Civilization (YWC), whose founder almost a decade ago verbally attacked women who claimed to be rape victims, is at it again.

On its blog yesterday, the far-right campus group, as part of a more general attack on foreign asylum-seekers, described the woman who accused the former International Monetary Fund (IMF) head of sexual assault as a prostitute. YWC’s John Anderson said the New York City hotel maid “worked as a prostitute, making money from an illegal activity which she probably did not pay taxes on.” Later, he repeated the same charge.

No allegedly. No reportedly. No original reporting. Just a long, nasty post attacking the woman whose charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn cost the Frenchman his IMF post. It’s true that the notoriously sensational New York Post said on Saturday that it had “learned” that the woman was a prostitute, and it’s true that lies the woman told about other matters have thrown a wrench into the sexual assault case now pending against Strauss-Kahn. But it’s far from clear that the woman was not raped, and in fact she has sued the New York Post for libeling her. What’s more, a second woman, in France, has said in the last few days that Strauss-Kahn attempted to rape her several years ago and that she now intends to file charges.

It all seems par for the course for YWC, which has worked with white supremacists to raise funds and is white nationalist in its ideology. The group was started in 2006 by Kevin DeAnna, who two years earlier wrote a long article for a campus newspaper demanding an apology from a 16-year-old girl after prosecutors dropped charges against a student she had accused of raping her at a fraternity party. DeAnna and another future YWC principal were the top editors at the student paper at the College of William & Mary when it angrily argued that “feminist lies about supposed rape designed to demonize all men should be exposed.” The girl sued DeAnna for libel, but the case was dismissed for reasons that are not clear from the court record.

It’s not clear whether or not the New York City maid was, in fact, sexually assaulted. But as of now, the charges against the powerful Frenchman stand. And forensic evidence suggestive of a sexual assault has been widely reported.

But to YWC, apparently, there are no further questions to be asked. The woman, who happens to be black, reportedly lied about some matters. Therefore, she must have lied about the assault and is, in fact, a prostitute. Or so says YWC.

• Unamused

Those of you who have actually read the offending article will see that it does not, in fact, “attack” any rape victims, alleged or otherwise.

• Ruslan Amirkhanov

Yes but YWC is defending rapists, and probably will continue to do so, so it is a part of their ideal Western society.

• Walt

@ Ruslan – I don’t think rape occurs more in western countries or not, but I belive it probably happens less because in many non-western countries rape either is not reported because the woman can face dire punishment up to & including death, or because the woman is considered property and thus has no right of consent or refusal.

• Paen

If hell exists it must have a special place for those who go after rape victims.

• skinnyminny

While the former IMF chief may be French, again, I am laughing because this group may not know that the last name kahn is not French.
    Oh, NY Post, isn’t that one of Murdoch’s outfits? What’s particularly interesting about this, I’m reminded of a couple of months ago, listening to my radio, Hannity said on the air that he had informants inside the White House. I’m not sure if he said this as a power play, or if he was serious.

Matthew Bright,
    I think this happened because we followed the advice of not paying them any attention, instead of confronting it. It doesn’t help, that people continue to listen to the news when most of the shows writers/producers are conservative, i.e. Pats Buchanan has been at MSNBC for years even though conservatives says this is a liberal outfit.

• Ruslan Amirkhanov

Apparently Western Civilization means rape, lots of rape.

• Matthew Bright

I just don’t get it. How is it that we’re up to our ears in these vicious and malignant personalities?