The Hatewatch blog is managed by the staff of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based civil rights organization.

WND Promotes Anti-Abortion Film for Black History Month

By Leah Nelson on January 30, 2012 - 5:26 pm, Posted in Conspiracies

Taking a break from its usual offerings of “birther” propaganda, gay-bashing, and End Times prophecy, Joseph Farah’s online publication WorldNetDaily (WND) is promoting a new film, “Gates of Hell,” a propaganda piece supporting the Christian right notion that abortion is a vicious plot to destroy black America.

“Gates of Hell” is a feature-length pseudo-documentary set in a dystopian near future in which a group of “black power extremists” set out to terrorize and murder abortion providers. Its producer, frequent WND contributor Jason “Molotov” Mitchell, is a former wedding videographer who made a name for himself in 2008 with “Video Portrait of Barack Hussein Obama,” an online offering that accused then-candidate Obama of being a racist, Marxist and anti-Semite “discipled” in “quasi-Christianity,” and asked “[W]hen we are at war with Islam can Americans elect a man with not one, not two, but three Islamic names?”

If WND’s staggeringly offensive video teaser is any indication of its contents, “Gates of Hell” will be equally inflammatory. According to its website, the film “is a documentary from the year 2016 that chronicles the crimes of a band of domestic terrorists known as the Zulu 9. Finnish filmmaker Ani Juva travels to the United States to better understand the mysterious black power assassins, the unexpected eugenics conspiracy theory that drove them to commit extreme acts of violence and how America’s political landscape was transformed overnight. Blending real history and real public figures with a fictitious (yet plausible) future, it is safe to say that you have never seen a film like ‘Gates of Hell.’”

In keeping with Mitchell’s self-proclaimed expertise in “reaching the ‘under-40’ demographic,” the WND teaser is replete with special effects borrowed  from MTV and the “Blair Witch Project.” It begins with a close-up of Mitchell who, clad in a beanie and black jacket and manipulated using computer effects to look like a comic book image of himself, screams “The Zulus are coming!” – a line that some (particularly the over-40 crowd) are more likely to associate with the 1964 feature film “Zulu,” widely criticized for its racist portrayal of blacks. Next, it cuts to documentary-style footage of a black man who traipses through the woods with a “documentarian” and then shoots an “abortionist” dead who is leaving the home of his mistress.

After that, we return to the computer-enhanced Mitchell, who tells us more about his latest work: “If you like debating politics, you will love it. If you’re pro-life, you’ll be mesmerized. If you’re pro-choice, you just might crap your pants. If you’re black, this is your movie. If you’re not black, buy the film anyway and watch it with your black friends – because first and foremost, Gates of Hell is a black film with a largely black cast, and focuses primarily on black issues.”

Mitchell’s claim that this film is about “black issues” is based on the Christian right meme that abortion is actually a genocidal tactic perpetrated by racist pseudo-liberals against black America. Like most conspiracy theories, it is based on a kernel of evidence: in this case, the fact that Margaret Sanger, who founded Planned Parenthood in 1916, was in favor of eugenics and can be linked to racist organizations. (Planned Parenthood today has entirely divorced itself from this aspect of its history.)

Former presidential candidate Herman Cain did anti-abortion activists a favor by introducing this claim into the mainstream, asserting last fall that abortion clinics are deliberately built in black communities as part of a “planned genocide” against black Americans. A 2011 report by the Guttmacher Institute, an organization dedicated to sexual and reproductive health, firmly refutes this claim, noting that fewer than one in 10 abortion clinics are located in predominantly black neighborhoods. The fact that black women have higher abortion rates than white women, the institute said in 2009, is “directly linked to their higher rates of unintended pregnancy, which in turn reflect pervasive health disparities more generally.”

But such facts obviously don’t bother Mitchell, who, in keeping with his effort to pretend his film is about “black issues,” says in the WND teaser that the February release date is timed “to commemorate black history month.” (This isn’t the first time Mitchell has invoked civil rights to make a point: In a 2009 video supporting a proposed Ugandan bill that would have made homosexuality punishable by death, he quoted Martin Luther King Jr.)

The WND teaser features praise from some major players on the Christian right, including Matt Barber of the ultraconservative, anti-gay Liberty Counsel and Troy Newman of Operation Rescue, an anti-abortion group known for descending en masse on small women’s health clinics to harass workers and women exercising their right to reproductive freedom. It is also endorsed by a supposed former Black Panther who goes by the nickname “Trimelda.”

Though he isn’t listed as a fan of Mitchell’s film, another anti-abortion activist to embrace the “black genocide” concept is Rev. Donald Spitz, a longtime anti-black racist with a penchant for posting among his list of “Current News Stories for Christians” articles about violent crimes committed by blacks. Spitz, who is best known for his revolting Army of God website, celebrates as “heroes of the faith” violent criminals who, saying they were called to their work directly by God, have killed abortion providers, their bodyguards, and clinic staffers. As it happens – and contrary to the fantasy of Mitchell & co. – all of these celebrated murderers have been white.

  • Mitch Beales

    William through the miracle of modern science I’ve done the survey and the answer is yes!

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    By all means, William, do a survey of unborn babies and find out.

  • William

    Would an unborn baby, given the choice, want to die rather than live as a poor child in United States?

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    Oh look, Jason can use Wikipedia. Too bad he couldn’t read the numerous posts where I pointed out that China has preferential policies toward national minorities, including exemptions from the one-child birth policy. The country is 91% Han(in actuality many people are mixed anyway) not because China has some kind of pro-Han policy with restrictive immigration and all those things you want(actually it’s quite the opposite), but because there just happen to be many Han people. China has historically spread its culture to other peoples and encouraged mixing of cultures. In fact entire ethnic groups of people were assimilated by the Han over the years.

    “Consider Brazil. There’s a tiny White population living in gated compounds and they have to helicopter in, while surrounded by vast black and brown hoards. Brazil is a very dangerous country. What’s so great about that?”

    What the hell are you talking about? I’ve known plenty of “white” people from Brazil and nobody mentions needing to live in gated compounds. As others have pointed out, Brazil is a rising power in Latin America and as its economic condition improves so will the quality of life. You see, to properly illustrate the idiocy of your proposal, you would have us believe that Brazil’s problem with crime is due to the fact that the people are of mixed phenotype. By contrast, Norway has low crime because it’s people have blond hair, light eyes, white skin, etc. This is child-like thinking and it is typical of the movement. The science of criminology goes right out the window. Sociology? Out the window! Economics? Throw that out too! Turns out having the genes that make you dark-skinned also make you commit crime!

    Knowing what you consider to be wise, being called stupid by you is a complement. The fact is that whatever intelligence you might have had you gave up when you accepted the movement’s narrative of life.

  • ModerateMike

    “America will no longer be part of Western Civilization. it will be just another 3rd world hell hole.”

    Then it sounds like your cause is lost, Jason. Time to move on to something else.

  • http://www.twitter.com/AronL Aron

    Aw, jeez. Ruslan and IThink have been called stupid by ‘Teh Keng of Stoopid’ himself. How are you two going to live with yourselves? I don’t think I could…

    Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

  • ModerateMike

    What must it be like to be a WN in today’s world? It is as though they have suffered some sort of psychotic break as a result of the changes around them. As they thrash about, forming alliances with other conservative causes that seemingly undermine their core interests (i.e. opposing abortion in black communities) and desperately clinging to the idea that they can bully the rest of the nation into submitting to their will, they only marginalize themselves more. What a hellish existence…

  • Jason Smith

    Ithink wrote: “Than you probably don’t want to be around to see 2040 in America, because that Lost Cause of past Confederacy is coming to a screeching cliff suicide (P.S.-1 in 5 Americans by that time will be either bi-racial or foreign born…”

    Which proves nothing. It simply means America will be another 3rd world country just like India or Brazil. Your argument supports my position. We don’t have to wait until 2040 because we already have examples of what it’s like to live in a 3rd world country. Consider Brazil. There’s a tiny White population living in gated compounds and they have to helicopter in, while surrounded by vast black and brown hoards. Brazil is a very dangerous country. What’s so great about that?

    America will no longer be part of Western Civilization. it will be just another 3rd world hell hole.

    Ithink: You are really stupid. You are a really dumb guy.

  • Jason Smith

    Ruslan is very stupid and ignorant. He admits that China is 91% Han. So let’s look at the facts. Hmm … 91% is already quite a lot. The remaining ethnic groups: Zhuang (16.1 million), Manchu (10.6 million), Hui (9.8 million), Miao (8.9) are Asiatic races that look very similar to Han. It’s like the difference between an Irishman and a Scotsman. Uygars are a tiny group. I checked this out and Bejing has about 19 million people. There’s only about 4,000 Uygars in all of Bejing! This is statistically almost zero. Ruslan is an idiot. I would guess he probably has an IQ of around 85.

  • Ithink

    My Response: My goodness. Imagine that. Whites, in their own country, actually writing their own narrative and their own history.(Jason)
    -You mean the same country where they committed genocide to the ‘original’ Native Americans, The Indians, and enslaved millions of Africans to do all their agricultural & architectural labor? Oh right, THEIR country. I’ll assume you mean all those ethnicities and races who were either forced here or forcibly exiled…Nothing wrong with providing a revisionist narrative, until it crashes into the plane of reality.
    How horrible. My goodness! Umm … gee, don’t Koreans write their own history and their own narrative in Korea?(Jason)
    -Yeah, they do! Since Korea, like many Asian nations was isolated for centuries and has been culturally replicated to China, like the rest of the Southeast region there, that’s a real false equivalency to the diverse by default melting pot that the U.S. technically was from the get-go. Its just that our Founding Fathers thought for some inexplicable reason some people were ‘more equal’ than others, but were willing to change their minds with reason and time…
    Don’t Arabs write their own narrative in Saudi Arabia? My goodness, should we expect Koreans to allow millions of Pakistanis to swarm into Korea, and change the history books?(Jason)
    -Absolute nonsense as usual, both of those places actually have multiple ethnicities and their own racial hierarchy almost completely removed from the typical Ugly American worldview championed by the ‘cream of creation’ ignoramuses such as yourself. In Korea I know they actually DO revise their history textbooks regarding WWII atrocities and themselves being the ‘ideal and perfected’ Asian/God’s people in many educational and public instances, pretty much like every other diluted nationalistic minded dolts movement ever instigated…

    LOL! Of course, I want to live in a White society (Jason)…
    -Since it apparently exists only in the space between your ears, as it is nowhere to be found in the ‘real’ world, why don’t you try that padded room and straight jacket package we’ve been raving to you about it. Its an incomparable paradise for those that want to see all white, all the time, or so a former inmate there has told me!

    ‘and that society controlled by us. LOL!!! I’m laughing hysterically now.’(Jason)
    Than you probably don’t want to be around to see 2040 in America, because that Lost Cause of past Confederacy is coming to a screeching cliff suicide (P.S.-1 in 5 Americans by that time will be either bi-racial or foreign born, and 2008 was the first year more than 50% of U.S. babies were born bi-racial or non-white minorities–just something for you laugh hysterically about with the voices in your head, in case it gets tiresome for you)…

  • Gregory

    Jason,
    You may pretend to be any nationality you choose. This is, after all, the internet and everybody is taller, wealthier and better educated online than in real life. I agree with Ruslan that your ignorance, while vastly entertaining, undermines any claims to international sophistication.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    Just for those who are keeping score, here is a list of nations that Jason incorrectly assumed were ethnically homogeneous:

    China: Extremely multi-cultural. Han are 91% but the remainder are 54-56 different nationalities, and the state promotes “inclusiveness” in regards to nationality and culture(you can even see this on posters all around Beijing).

    Korea: Korea was rather monoethnic until it became an economic power, but like all industrialized nations, it is taking on more immigrants and is working to open up more to foreigners. Korean naturalization law is easier than US law.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    What Jason has to learn is that most of those nationalists he hears about in Russia are Russian, not “white” nationalists. They don’t give a damn about “white” people or some pan-European ideal. They believe, quite foolishly, that Russia has some traditional “Russian way” that is superior to the West.

    Jason also wouldn’t find a very “white” city in Moscow either. Moscow is full of immigrants from Central Asia, the Caucasus, as well as foreign workers and students from many countries. Hell, the Russian empire brought in thousands of Chinese workers to deal with labor shortages during the First World War.

  • daemonesslisa

    @Ruslan
    Thanks for the clarification! But to certain people, those things don’t exactly matter, just the skin color; for example, northern Europeans represent the “ideal” people to them, but they too are multi-ethnic when you look under the skin.

    And as far as the white power scene in Russia, I’ve heard of some pretty extreme anti-semitic violence (although I may be thinking of Ukraine).

  • A.D.M.

    Ruslan, I think you mean European cultures(Polish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, etc.). There is no one unified European culture.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    @Jason, You are DEFINITELY American, possibly Canadian. You display too much ignorance of European culture to be otherwise.

    @Daemonesslisa

    Russia is not a “white” country. It is extremely multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and the “white”(i.e. Slavic population) is “Russian”, not “white.” The insignificant white power scene in Russia is just copycatting the west, no different than hipsters, goths, emo, and other subcultures which have also found their way into Russia since 1991.

  • daemonesslisa

    “I want to live in a white country”

    Russia, son. Go there. Don’t come back.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    Jason, in your attempt to sound clever again, you just display your profound ignorance of the world. As usual.

    ” My goodness. Imagine that. Whites, in their own country, actually writing their own narrative and their own history. How horrible. My goodness! ”

    There is no such nationality or ethnicity as “whites”. There has not been a single “white” country in history, and that even includes the Third Reich.

    “Umm … gee, don’t Koreans write their own history and their own narrative in Korea?”

    Oh they sure do, in the North and South. The problem is Koreans don’t compare with “whites.” It would make more sense to speak of Koreans and say, the English or Spanish. Korea was a very isolated nation for centuries, but much of its cultural roots are found in China.

    Since South Korea became an economic power, it has faced increasing immigration. Nowadays there are dozens of news articles every year about multiculturalism in Korea, and how the country is opening up to this. Here are a few examples:

    http://www.wfs.org/content/multiculturalism-korea

    http://the-diplomat.com/new-le.....ic-future/

    ” My goodness, should we expect Koreans to allow millions of Pakistanis to swarm into Korea, and change the history books? LOL! Of course, I want to live in a White society, and that society controlled by us. LOL!!! I’m laughing hysterically now.”

    Where are Pakistanis allowed to “swarm”? You still have never taken the time to look up European visa/immigration laws, nor have you bothered to compare them with the laws in “non-white” countries. I was the one who did that.

    Face it- You are obsessed with something(immigration), and yet you haven’t bothered to find the most basic information about this subject. This is a sign of idiocy.

  • Jason Smith

    Erika wrote: “Jason, since you believe that majority rules when it comes to writing history … ”

    My Response: You are making the mistake. How do we define ‘majority’? Koreans are a minority in the world. Does that mean they have to be a minority in Korea?

  • Jason Smith

    Gregory wrote: “I was unaware that the US is a “white” country.”

    My Response: You make the mistake of thinking I am an American. I am referring to the small countries in Western Europe which are being inundated by millions of foreigners. Many of these countries never even had overseas colonies: Norway, Ireland, Luxemburg, Switzerland, etc …

  • CM

    Darn, I was hoping everyone would ignore Jason Smith’s obvious and trollish attempt at provocation. But since the party has started I’ll add this:

    Jason Smith said:

    “LOL!!! I’m laughing hysterically now.”

    That’s odd, seeing as how you’re the joke.

  • Gregory

    Jason Smith wrote:
    “My Response: My goodness. Imagine that. Whites, in their own country, actually writing their own narrative and their own history.”

    I was unaware that the US is a “white” country. I guess we are lucky that the only two “normal” people here, Jason and funisnow, are keeping our facts straight. /snark

  • Erika

    Jason, since you believe that majority rules when it comes to writing history, I assume that you will agree that since women comprise a majority of the population that we should be teaching our children only women’s history with one month set aside as “Men’s History Month.”

  • Jason Smith

    Ruslan wrote: “You have 11 ‘white history months’.”

    ithink wrote: “Because they are the ones who have dictated the definitive narrative for so long, whether they were dead wrong or flat out propagandizing in their Eurocentric claptrap of fringe ideology.”

    Erika wrote: “White males still have the other 10 months of the year.”

    My Response: My goodness. Imagine that. Whites, in their own country, actually writing their own narrative and their own history. How horrible. My goodness! Umm … gee, don’t Koreans write their own history and their own narrative in Korea? Don’t Arabs write their own narrative in Saudi Arabia? My goodness, should we expect Koreans to allow millions of Pakistanis to swarm into Korea, and change the history books? LOL! Of course, I want to live in a White society, and that society controlled by us. LOL!!! I’m laughing hysterically now.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    “Why is there even a ‘Black History Month’? Why can’t we have a ‘White History Month’?”

    You have 11 “white history months.”

  • A.D.M.

    Dan does it again.

    “I don’t know how much you have looked into it, but WN tend not to have much of a problem with black mothers getting abortions. For obvious reasons.”

    That is correct.

    “The author of Freakonomics claims with good evidence that abortion rights and rates (since the 70s) correlate with a drop in crime rates since.”

    Care to provide something?

    “The interesting thing is that a proxy for the GOP would come up with a rhetorical strategy like this. There’s no point, blacks will never vote GOP as America is currently aligned politically. I have no idea why they try to compete for that voting block. GOP threats to public school funding, welfare, affirmative action, civil rights etc are like Kryptonite for blacks. Abortion hasn’t dented the slow but steady growth of that minority over the last 35 years.”

    How is the U.S. currently aligned with the GOP? As for the other stuff, affirmative action is pretty much on its way out, most welfare dollars are going to white folks even though its usage is waning, civil rights is an issue for everybody, and public school funding affects everybody.

    “Pro-lifers are confusing when they dabble in pandering to minorities.”

    You think the GOP can win a general election without minorities? Wow. Then I guess Latinos who want the DREAM Act passed wwill dismiss the GOP. Latinos are the fastest growing population and will probably be the majority in the future.

  • Ithink

    Jason Smith said,
    on January 30th, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    Why is there even a ‘Black History Month’? Why can’t we have a ‘White History Month’?
    Because they are the ones who have dictated the definitive narrative for so long, whether they were dead wrong or flat out propagandizing in their Eurocentric claptrap of fringe ideology. You guys already have an affirmative action/pro-civil rights cause still totally in whites’ favor: its called, the history of the planet! Now please read the following and go troll around the Stormfront echo chambers with a muzzle on…

    Philip said,
    on January 31st, 2012 at 1:56 am
    A website that can’t believe a black president was born in America has no business trying to reach out to black America with another conspiracy that whites are trying to put them down.

    Erika said,
    on January 31st, 2012 at 10:14 am
    And Jason, there is also a women’s history month – but don’t worry, White males still have the other 10 months of the year

  • Dan

    I don’t know how much you have looked into it, but WN tend not to have much of a problem with black mothers getting abortions. For obvious reasons.

    The author of Freakonomics claims with good evidence that abortion rights and rates (since the 70s) correlate with a drop in crime rates since.

    The interesting thing is that a proxy for the GOP would come up with a rhetorical strategy like this. There’s no point, blacks will never vote GOP as America is currently aligned politically. I have no idea why they try to compete for that voting block. GOP threats to public school funding, welfare, affirmative action, civil rights etc are like Kryptonite for blacks. Abortion hasn’t dented the slow but steady growth of that minority over the last 35 years.

    Pro-lifers are confusing when they dabble in pandering to minorities.

  • Erika

    I think its safe to say that if you wedding video is made by a guy with the self proclaimed nickname “Molotov” your marriage is doomed.

    But seriously, this just seems like some racists peddling the “Black people are scary” line to other racists. If a bunch of Black terrorists would be running around, they wouldn’t be doing the work of White mysognists even if they are Black mysognists – instead, they would focus on economic issues. But I guess that this Charles Manson wantabe believes that Blacks are so easily influenced they will do the work of White bigots for them. What racist claptrap.

    And Jason, there is also a women’s history month – but don’t worry, White males still have the other 10 months of the year.

  • Ruslan Amirkhanov

    ““[W]hen we are at war with Islam can Americans elect a man with not one, not two, but three Islamic names?””

    1. We are not at war with Islam.

    2. There is no such thing as an “Islamic name.” They are Arabic names or variations thereof.

    3. Obama, as far as I know, is not an Arab name.

    4. This guy is an idiot.

  • Philip

    A website that can’t believe a black president was born in America has no business trying to reach out to black America with another conspiracy that whites are trying to put them down.

  • Jason Smith

    Why is there even a ‘Black History Month’? Why can’t we have a ‘White History Month’?

  • IThink

    *and terming it the most beautiful thing in all of creation^^^
    (Wish they had an edit button here!)…

  • IThink

    Being Pro-Life in Republican Land means adoring an unborn fetus from the moment of conception to the second before it passes through the birth canal its the most beautiful thing in all of creation.

    What it doesn’t entail, directly contrary to the Culture of Life in Catholic doctrine and most Christian denominational dogma, is capital punishment (which is often wrongfully executed), wars (because all those poor and middle class kiddies that die don’t matter as much as the ‘job creating’ corporations who are people too!), unrestricted gun ownership and mandatory euthanasia on those who don’t want or need to continue suffering. The former two are technically late-term post-birth abortions, the third is the second Civil War waiting to happen and the last wouldn’t even be necessary period in a nation with universal health care, yet another ‘socialist bugaboo’ and sensible measure that they’ll violently resist to the ends of the Earth, regardless of how desperately they may themselves need it…

  • IThink

    Proof positive again that the American Radical Right and the Republican Party hasn’t a clue about black people or what ‘issues’ really affect them collectively from a non-bigot’s point of view, as if it was really needed. They couldn’t give two rat’s tails how many black or any babies are being aborted in the first place, since they so vehemently oppose any sort of common sense welfare, free birth control and comprehensive sex education that would make all these things next to non-issues for all women (and many men( if widely implanted. Thats just fewer leeches on welfare and driving up high crime and high school dropout rates in their twisted, faux-heroic mindsets…

  • Shadow Wolf

    I supposed the real purpose behind that documentary, is to instill fear in the gullible White man(those who are easily influenced). To show them how a few unknown clandestine Black power assassins are bent on extreme violence and bloodshed. If this documentary is “offensive” to anyone, it certainly may be more offensive to the Black community. It portrays Blacks as violent marauding criminals. When in fact, ergo ironically, that the majority of anti-abortionists, and those whom were accused of domestic terrorism at abortion clinics are White.

  • CriticalDragon1177

    Leah Nelson,

    I’ve heard of Jason “Molotov” Mitchell, and I remember watching his video supporting Uganda’s proposed anti sodomy law. The man makes me sick.

  • Reynardine

    Nobody like the Wing Nut Disasters for projection…except for any other bigoted, right-wing nut jobs.