Neo-Nazis Plan Patrols in Florida in Wake of Trayvon Martin Shooting

Posted in Neo-Nazi by Heidi Beirich on April 8, 2012

Print This Post Print This Post

The neo-Nazi National Socialist Movement (NSM) has announced that it will be conducting patrols in Seminole County, Fla., to protect “local citizens from the area who are concerned for the safety of their families.” The group says it is prepared for “racial violence” in the Sanford area, where the Martin shooting occurred, and that is has been “contacted by dozens of local citizens” supposedly seeking protection.

The NSM’s announcement warns of imminent racial violence, saying that “the Melting Pot is brimming over like a powder keg ready to explode into the streets.” Rabidly anti-Semitic and racist, the NSM is known for its frequent rallies, where members often come dressed in full Nazi uniforms featuring swastika armbands. ( continue to full post… )

Internet Messages Detail ‘Nazi Jihadist’s’ Radicalization

Posted in Extremist Crime by Leah Nelson on July 19, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

A Pennsylvania man who was indicted Thursday for allegedly using the Internet to encourage Islamic fundamentalists to launch terror attacks against U.S. targets has a long history of extremism and joined a neo-Nazi group in 2003.

Emerson Begolly, 22, of New Bethlehem, Pa., was about 14 when he first contacted the National Socialist Movement (NSM), America’s largest neo-Nazi group, Hatewatch has learned.

Begolly was arrested on January 4 after he bit two FBI agents who approached him to serve search warrants as he sat alone in the front seat of a car parked at a Burger King. When the agents opened the door and identified themselves, he screamed and reached for his pocket, then bit the agents’ hands, drawing blood. He was found to have a 9 mm Makarov handgun with the safety off and two fully loaded magazines in his pocket.

( continue to full post… )

Did Murdered Neo-Nazi Jeff Hall Abuse His Son?

Posted in Extremist Crime, Neo-Nazi by Leah Nelson on May 20, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

New evidence has emerged in the case of a 10-year-old boy accused of shooting his neo-Nazi father to death, contradicting earlier accounts of a warm and child-centered home and instead suggesting that the boy had been seriously abused.

According to an account yesterday from The Associated Press, which was largely based on an L.A. Times story that cited court documents and police reports, the boy apparently had been pushed to the breaking point by his father’s abuse of him and his stepmother and was also frightened that he’d have to choose between them if his father’s behavior led to a divorce. Police took the child into custody on May 1, shortly after he allegedly shot Jeff Hall in their California home as he slept on a couch. Hall was the southwest regional leader of the National Socialist Movement (NSM), the country’s largest neo-Nazi group.

Earlier reports painted a picture of Hall as a loving parent who cared deeply about his five children despite his beliefs, a concerned father who so worried about violence from his enemies that he mounted surveillance cameras outside his home.

But the AP reported that Krista McCary, the boy’s 26-year-old stepmother and Hall’s widow, told police that Hall “hit, kicked and yelled at his son to punish him for being too loud or getting in his way.” Hall had also abused her and the 10-year-old’s younger sisters, she said. Separately, the boy reportedly told police that he suspected his father had been cheating on McCary, a situation he feared ultimately would force him to choose which parent to live with. ( continue to full post… )

Stepmom of Boy Accused of Shooting Neo-Nazi Dad Faces Gun Charges

Posted in Neo-Nazi by Leah Nelson on May 18, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

Prosecutors Tuesday charged the widow of Jeffrey Hall, the California neo-Nazi who allegedly was shot to death by his 10-year-old son on May 1, with five counts of child endangerment and four counts of criminal storage of a firearm.

Krista McCary, 26, the boy’s stepmother and Hall’s widow, is accused of leaving the loaded pistol used to kill Hall on a shelf where the five children in the house had easy access to it.

In the meantime, the boy, who is being charged as a juvenile with the murder of his father, was expected to appear in court today to enter a plea. His attorney told reporters he is considering an insanity defense. ( continue to full post… )

10-Year Old Son Held in Death of California Neo-Nazi Leader

Posted in Neo-Nazi by Robert Steinback on May 2, 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

UPDATE: More information on the shooting has been included at the end of this post.

For prominent California neo-Nazi leader Jeff Hall, non-whites, Jews, gays, immigrants and other purported undesirables had no place in a perfect world. In the end, police suspect, the gun that cut short his life Sunday was fired not by someone he hated, but by someone he presumably loved— his 10-year-old son.

Hall died early Sunday morning. Gunshots were reported at his home shortly after 4 a.m.

As of this morning, police in Riverside, Calif., had not yet said whether they believe the shooting of Hall, the California director and southwest regional leader of the National Socialist Movement (NSM), was accidental or deliberate. According to The New York Times, Hall’s son was “detained” and no other suspects were being sought. Hall was married with five young children. ( continue to full post… )

Leaked Neo-Nazi E-mails Show Contacts With Military Personnel

Posted in Hate Groups, Neo-Nazi by Sonia Scherr on September 3, 2009

Print This Post Print This Post

Hatewatch recently posted a report about private E-mails of the National Socialist Movement (NSM) showing up on the Internet. While that post focused on the infighting that has dogged America’s largest neo-Nazi group, some of the E-mails also shed light on a more serious matter: racial extremists in the military.

The E-mails show that several people who identified themselves as active military personnel contacted NSM over the past two years to express interest in the organization, including at least one soldier who subsequently joined. Their inquiries were among more than 600 NSM E-mails that were posted late last month to the website wikileaks.org, which publishes leaked documents. The E-mails had been sent to a hotmail account maintained by an NSM member whose responsibilities included corresponding with potential recruits.

The NSM E-mails from military personnel provide more evidence that racial extremists are infiltrating the military and that service members are being recruited by hate groups. Since 2006, the Southern Poverty Law Center has provided the military with information about white supremacist activity in its ranks. In July, the SPLC asked Congress to investigate the problem and to take steps to ensure that the armed forces are not inadvertently training future domestic terrorists.

Asked if the servicemen who contacted NSM would face consequences if they were still in the military, Defense Department spokesman Lt. Col. Les’ Melnyk said department policy prohibits active participation in “supremacist” groups. But enforcement of that policy falls to the individual service branches. “The Department works closely with its criminal investigative agencies and the FBI to ensure that gang or extremist activity in the military is aggressively investigated and appropriately prosecuted,” he wrote in an E-mail, “and that new accessions [recruits] are rigorously screened to deny entry to those who do not renounce participation in criminal gangs and activities.”

However, the policy sometimes has been interpreted to mean that military personnel are allowed to be “mere members” of hate groups or to engage in unaffiliated extremist activities, such as posting racist and anti-Semitic messages to social networking websites and E-mail lists or maintaining online profiles filled with racist materials. Melnyk said in his E-mail that the Defense Department believes it “is broad and inclusive in its definition of ‘active participation,’ and encourages commanders to pursue and weed out service members who actively participate in these type of groups.”

Among those who contacted NSM was an infantryman who identified himself as Kyle R. Wrobel. Writing from a hotmail contact, Wrobel told NSM that he was from Cleveland, Ohio. “i am a sergeant in the US Army infantry, currently serving my second combat tour to iraq,” he wrote on Jan. 17, 2008. “i vehemently support your cause, ( continue to full post… )

Neo-Nazi Group’s Dirty Linen Aired in Leaked E-mails

Posted in Hate Groups, Neo-Nazi by Sonia Scherr on August 28, 2009

Print This Post Print This Post

Like most hate groups, the National Socialist Movement (NSM) conducts virtually all its business in secret. So leaders of America’s largest neo-Nazi group couldn’t have been happy last week when hundreds of its private E-mails appeared on the Internet.

The messages — more than 600 of them dated between July 2007 and August 2009 — are posted to the website wikileaks.org, which publishes leaked documents. They were sent to a hotmail account maintained by an NSM member identified as William Herring, a self-described ex-con who handled correspondence for the group. They provide a glimpse into the inner world of the NSM, whose members seem to spend almost as much time at each other’s throats as they do standing up for the white race.

Among the highlights was a major dust-up in fall 2007 that featured claims of Jewish collaboration and led to the ouster or resignation of several key members, including the group’s 2008 presidential candidate. On Oct. 3, 2007, NSM leader Jeff Schoep wrote an “internal party memo” urging members to stop squabbling. “When Col. Bishop and I have to play babysitter, and talk to people about drama, it makes us, all of you, and our Party look foolish,” he wrote. “America is being overrun with Mexicans and other invaders, instead of expelling certain people, these members and the Party are better served if the drama is saved for the playground, and we all get back to work.” Two weeks later, he adopted a harder line in another E-mail to NSM members. “The NSM does not operate as a Democracy, your pledge of Loyalty is to the Party and its Leadership. Honor your Oath, and your Pledge of Loyalty to the Party, or get out of our Ranks now while you still can!”

In mid-October 2007, Schoep took aim at former NSM regional leader Jim Ramm, an alias for Matthew Ramsey, in a flurry of E-mails. “Jim Ramm is collaborating with the ADL [Anti-Defamation League],” Schoep declared in a message dated Oct. 18. He also forwarded an E-mail titled “giving it to the jews” in which Ramm, who served as webmaster for NSM’s nukeisrael website, supposedly threatened to give the site to the ADL. Ramm later asserted that the E-mail was a fake and denied contact with “the Jews.” He attacked Schoep in a rambling Oct. 21 E-Mail, alleging that Schoep had covered up for an associate who was coming on to Ramm’s then-girlfriend. He complained that in 2006, NSM records grossed over $110,000 in sales, yet wasn’t required to report profits to members. “NSM members are expected to just smile and just hope Commander is spending the money wisely,” he said. “NSM members make no mistake: Jeff Schoep is in this just for the money and he really doesn’t give a damn about the White Race.” ( continue to full post… )

Sizeable NSM Rally May Reflect Renewed Vigor

Posted in Neo-Nazi by David Holthouse on April 23, 2009

Print This Post Print This Post

Sporting their spiffy new black BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) duds, which have replaced their brown shirts of old, about 100 members of the National Socialist Movement, the largest neo-Nazi organization in the country, marched in St. Louis before holding a rally beneath the city’s landmark Gateway Arch last Saturday.

It was a strong outing for the NSM, which in recent years has suffered from dueling egos and Satan-worshipping scandals that threatened the organization’s top-dog status on the neo-Nazi scene following the implosion of three other neo-Nazi groups — the National Alliance, Aryan Nations and the World Church of the Creator. A few years ago, NSM developed a reputation for its in-your-face style of confrontation, but it has been less active recently as internal disputes wracked the organization.

NSM commander Jeff Schoep even managed to string together a few coherent sound bites.

“If we were given control of the system we’d lock down the borders, we’d institute an America First policy, we’d cut off foreign aid and spending, we’d bring the troops home,” he told one television reporter. “We’d do all kinds of things that I think the American public is for, even some of the non-whites who may not necessarily like everything we stand for.”

You know, little things like mass deportation regardless of citizenship.

The rally at the arch was the highlight of a weekend of NSM festivities marking the 35th anniversary of the group’s founding. According to an “After Action Report” posted to the group’s website, other events included: “A class held for the NSM’s Viking Youth Division by it’s Director M. Sgt. Christina Drake,” the presentation of a documentary video that “featured what NSM California troops have been doing defending America’s Border, and several speeches by various members from the CA Division that were patrolling the California Border while the meeting was in progress in Missouri.” ( continue to full post… )

After the Election

Posted in Anti-Black, Anti-Immigrant, Anti-Latino, White Supremacist by Mark Potok on November 7, 2008

Print This Post Print This Post

After 250 years of slavery, a century of Jim Crow laws, and a legacy of racial terror that includes the lynching of thousands of African Americans, America has elected a black president. It was a day that many thought would never come.

In all the euphoria after the election of Barack Obama, it is tempting to see the era of overt racism in the United States as past, a dead letter that has no relevance in a country that has finally overcome its ugly history. But sadly, that would be a mistake. Obama’s election reflects the fact that the country has made enormous progress in the area of race relations and is likely to propel it to even greater heights. But progress is never a straight line. There is always the danger of a backlash.

Even before the campaign was over, racial rage, clearly driven by fear of a black man in the White House, began to break out around the country. Effigies of Obama appeared hanging from nooses on university campuses. Angry supporters of John McCain and Sarah Palin shouted “Kill him!” at a campaign rally and even screamed “nigger” at a black cameraman, telling him, “Sit down, boy!” The head of the Hillsborough County, Fla., Republican Party sent an E-mail warning members of “the threat” of “carloads of black Obama supporters coming from the inner city to cast their votes.” A reporter who has covered every presidential election since 1980 told me he had never seen such fury. Similar scenes were reported nationwide.

Naturally, the rage also engulfed the radical right. Thom Robb, an Arkansas Klan leader, described for a reporter the “race war” he sees developing “between our people, who I see as the rightful owners and leaders of this great country, and their people, the blacks.” In Tennessee, two neo-Nazi skinheads went further, allegedly planning to murder black schoolchildren, shoot and behead other African Americans, and assassinate Obama. They were arrested two weeks before the election.

A healthy majority of Americans did vote to send Obama to the Oval Office. But, clearly, there are people — perhaps millions of them — who are deeply upset over his victory for reasons that are fundamentally racial. And their anger is likely to intensify as the economy, especially unemployment, continues to worsen. ( continue to full post… )

Neo-Nazi Group Vows To March With Or Without A Permit

Posted in Hatewatch Headlines by Hatewatch Staff on September 18, 2008

Print This Post Print This Post

Despite being denied a permit, the National Socialist Movement intends to march in Columbia, Mo. on Nov. 8, the 70th anniversary of Kristallnacht, according to NSM leader Jeff Schoep.
Read full article

Next Page »