The Hatewatch blog is managed by the staff of the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based civil rights organization.
A man arrested for seriously vandalizing a medical clinic this week in Kalispell, Mont., that performs abortions is reportedly the son of a board member of a local anti-abortion “crisis pregnancy” clinic, which has itself been the center of controversy after white supremacists in the area raised funds for it.
The clinic, All Families Healthcare, was vandalized overnight Monday when one or more perpetrators broke glass and equipment throughout the office. Zachary Klundt, a 24-year-old Kalispell resident, was arrested while breaking into another building early Tuesday morning, and was promptly linked to the clinic burglary because of evidence he was carrying.
According to a post on Montana Human Rights Network’s Facebook page, Klundt is the son of Twyla Klundt, a member of the board of Hope Pregnancy Ministries, an anti-abortion “pregnancy counseling” center whose primary mission is to talk women out of getting abortions.
It and other “crisis pregnancy clinics” have recently come under fire in Montana for allegedly misleading women about their care options when it comes to pregnancy and abortion, according to a study by the National Abortion Rights Action League. Among its findings was that “89 percent, or eight of the nine centers visited, provided inaccurate information about birth control, such as saying contraception is the same as abortion, condoms aren’t effective in preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and birth control leads to breast and cervical cancer.”
Previously, Hope Pregnancy Ministries came under fire when noted local neo-Nazi April Gaede announced that she was helping raise funds for the center because she said it helped “save white babies.” In making her pitch, Gaede claimed that she had personally met with members of the center’s staff.
The tiny town of Leith, N.D. has won big.
Craig Cobb, the neo-Nazi who tried to buy up the windswept patch of weary houses, abandoned lots and gravel streets and turn it into an all-white enclave called “Cobbsville,” no longer owns any property in the town of 16 residents, according to The Associated Press.
Cobb, the AP reported yesterday, has deeded over his six remaining lots back to the town at no charge as he sits in a North Dakota county jail, awaiting sentencing for terrorizing residents of the community during an armed patrol of Leith last fall.
“I’m one of the most famous racist in the world, you son of a bitch,” Cobb, 62, shouted as he patrolled Leith with a rifle and his armed roommate, Kynan Dutton, on Nov. 16.
It was Cobb’s last day of freedom. Dutton was also arrested and charged with terrorizing Leith, but was released in January after pleading guilty to lesser charges and agreeing to testify against Cobb.
“I pray for you every day,” a resident told Cobb as he shouted and cursed his neighbors that day.
“Fuck you,” Cobb responded.
No wonder the mayor of Leith, Ryan Schock, told the AP that it “was definitely a huge relief” when Grant County Sheriff Steve Bay stopped by his office and showed him the deeds. ( continue to full post… )
Christhiaon Coie has spent 43 years waiting for the day when the brutal, Catholic- and gay-hating cult leader who she says raped her and numerous other girls, some of them as young as 8, would get his just desserts.
Last week, that day finally arrived.
In Miller County, Ark., a judge ordered a church run by 79-year-old Tony Alamo, who is serving a 175-year sentence on 10 counts of sex trafficking minors, to pay seven women abused by him as girls $525 million in actual and punitive damages. The women sued after Alamo’s criminal conviction in Arkansas in 2009.
Coie was not a plaintiff in the case, but she has spent much of her life traumatized by her rape at age 13 or 14 by Alamo, who was then married to her mother, Susan Alamo. She finally fled her home in 1971, and since that day she has done what she could to battle Alamo, a bizarre man who had followers pray for Susan’s resurrection for months after her 1982 death from cancer. Coie even had to sue Alamo to force him to return her mother’s body, which he hid for years.
“I just went, ‘Oh, thank you, God, if you’re up there, thank you, thank you, thank you,’” Coie told Hatewatch today, recounting the beating and sexual abuse suffered by children at the hands of the leader of Tony Alamo Christian Ministries, which is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. “These women are telling the absolute truth about what happened to them as little girls. The children suffered and suffered and suffered. I know that as sure as I breathe oxygen.”
“Once Tony loses every piece of property, he’s a paper tiger,” she said, adding that she was nevertheless still afraid after years of hiding from Alamo. “We still go to sleep with one eye open; the other one’s partially open, too. Once he realizes there’s nothing left, I think he may try to come after me and a lot of other people who had the guts to stand up. I’d be a fool to say I’m not afraid.”
Unlike many cases with such huge awards, the plaintiffs in this case may actually see most of what they won in the default judgment last week. That’s because the arm of the Alamo Ministries that lost the case, Twenty First Century Holiness Tabernacle Church, owns property in California that reportedly has valuable water rights. The LA Times reported that the plaintiffs’ lawyer, David Carter, said the rights could bring in as much as $1 billion when they are sold to satisfy the judgment. ( continue to full post… )
Instead of going to trial on multiple federal charges, Kirby K. Kehoe, 65, and his 37-year-old son, Cheyne, struck plea deals with federal prosecutors, with each pleading guilty to a single count before Magistrate Judge Michelle H. Burns. The elder Kehoe pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, and his son to being a felon in possession of firearms.
The Kehoes are best known for the exploits of Cheyne Kehoe and his brother, Chevie, who is still serving a life term for his leadership of a terrorist cell called the Aryan Republican Army. Both were involved in shootouts with police, and Chevie led the gang in the torture-murder of a family of three, including an 8-year-old girl who was smothered to death after being shocked with a cattle prod.
As part of the plea bargains, four other federal felony charges will be dismissed against Kirby Kehoe and three will be dismissed against Cheyne Kehoe, court documents show. The judge ordered background reports on both defendants and set sentencing for mid-May. Under the deal, Kirby Kehoe faces a maximum of 10 years in prison, and his son faces the low-end of the sentencing guideline range, probably about five years.
The pair, who have been affiliated with a series of white supremacist groups, were arrested last Oct. 14 when agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives raided an “off-the-grid compound” 140 miles north of Phoenix, near Ash Fork, Ariz. Kehoe and his son were indicted on Nov. 6 by a grand jury in Phoenix. ( continue to full post… )
The part black and completely over the top white supremacist Craig Cobb pleaded guilty Thursday to menacing and terrorizing the residents of the tiny town of Leith, N.D., which he once hoped to buy up and turn into an all-Aryan enclave called “Cobbsville.”
“I apologize for my behavior and I regret my actions,” Cobb told a judge in a Burleigh County courtroom, according to the Grand Forks Herald.
Cobb’s soft-spoken plea was part of an agreement with prosecutors that apparently will spare the 62-year-old racist, who discovered last fall that he was 14% black, much more jail time or a lengthy prison sentence, the Herald said.
Except for the few days he spent on a mental ward during a short-lived hunger strike, or “spiritual journey,” as he put it, Cobb has been locked up in the Mercer County Jail since Nov. 16. That’s when he was arrested and charged with seven counts of terrorizing as he led his racist acolyte and roommate, Kynan Dutton, on an armed “patrol” of Leith. Dutton, 29, pleaded guilty to lesser charges and was released in January after agreeing to testify against Cobb.
The profanity-laced patrol was recorded on a cell phone camera by Dutton’s girlfriend and later posted to the Internet by some of Cobb’s fellow white supremacists in an apparent – and successful – attempt to mock and embarrass Cobb. ( continue to full post… )
White robes, hoods, a makeshift pulpit in the basement, an 8- to 10-foot-high cross in the yard and numerous pieces of white supremacist, anti-government and Christian Identity literature.
Those are among the items discovered by investigators from the Boone County Sheriff’s office when they raided the rural Arkansas home Monday morning of a 61-year-old man wanted for drug offenses and sexual assault allegations involving a 13-year-old girl.
The man, Floyd Melton Lewis, was taken into custody at about 10 AM at his home just outside of the tiny town of Zinc, Ark., the headquarters of the Knights Party, once among the largest Ku Klux Klan groups in the country.
But the Harrison Daily Times, which first reported the raid and arrest, said investigators told the paper that Lewis was not associated with the Knights Party.
Lewis has a telephone number listed in his name for the Ku Klux Klan, LLC. Today, the number went straight to voicemail, which directed callers to a website where KKK paraphernalia could be purchased.
The Boone County sheriff, Mike Moore, told Hatewatch today that his department was initially asked several days ago to assist the Arkansas State Police investigating a crime against children case. A tip had come in, according to the Daily Times, that Lewis was growing marijuana in his home, selling prescription medications and allegedly taking naked pictures of the 13-year-old.
Sheriff Moore said investigators removed the girl from Lewis’ home last week. “She was taken to safety,” the sheriff said. Lewis, however, was not arrested at that time.
“We felt there was enough,” Moore said, “and decided to pay him another visit.” ( continue to full post… )
Come on, all you antigovernment militia members and wannabe guerrilla fighters. Surely, you can employ more stealth and cunning than three alleged domestic terrorists arrested recently in Georgia.
Brian Cannon and Cory Williamson appeared in federal court today in Rome, Ga., for a detention hearing after being arrested on federal weapons charges last weekend for allegedly trying to obtain pipe bombs and other explosives to launch a series of attacks on government facilities. The men were detained at the end of the hearing.
The third suspect, Terry Peace, is scheduled to make a court appearance on Feb. 24.
Their goal, according to a nine-page federal criminal complaint, was to force the declaration of martial law and spark a national uprising of militia groups.
“This case is a stark reminder of the threat we face not just from abroad, but from within our own borders from our own citizens,” U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates said this afternoon in a press release. “When plans turn violent, law enforcement must step in to protect our communities from harm.”
The trio, the complaint alleges, hatched their plot “in online chat discussions, which were monitored by [the] FBI, during which they chatted about carrying out an operation against the government.”
Didn’t these guys ever hear of the NSA? ( continue to full post… )
Infamous racist August Byron Kreis III, who once led a faction of the neo-Nazi Aryan Nations in order “to save the white race,” has been arrested again — this time on six counts of sexually abusing children in South Carolina.
The 59-old-year-old white supremacist, whose racist theology of Christian Identity disparages Jews and minorities, was taken into custody Wednesday in Richland County, S.C., and is now being held without bond in the Alvin Glenn Detention Center in Columbia.
He is charged in Richland County with one count of criminal sexual conduct with a minor under 16 and one count disseminating obscene material to a minor 12 years old or younger. Kreis also is charged in Lexington County, S.C., with three counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct and in Kershaw County, S.C., with one count of that same crime.
It wasn’t immediately clear exactly how many child victims are involved in the six felony counts lodged against Kreis in the three South Carolina counties.
The newest investigation of Kreis’ activities started Feb. 3, when a woman contacted the Richland County Sheriff’s Office and reported that her daughter, whose age wasn’t provided by authorities, had been sexually assaulted. ( continue to full post… )
With a trial set to begin in three months, federal prosecutors in Texas have obtained guilty pleas from 19 of the 36 Aryan Brotherhood of Texas (ABT) members accused of multiple acts of murder, robbery, arson, kidnapping and narcotics trafficking.
The latest pleas came last week from Ronald Lee “Big Show” Prince, 44, and Stephen Tobin “Scuba Steve” Mullen, 44, both of Dallas. Both men pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to participate in racketeering activity. At sentencing in October, they both face maximum sentences of life in prison.
Like the others who have pleaded guilty, Prince and Mullen confessed to being part of a criminal enterprise that federal investigators claim has operated in and out of various prisons since at least 1993.
The ABT, established in the early 1980s, is considered one of the most violent crime syndicates in the United States. It was modeled on the white supremacist philosophy of the Aryan Brotherhood, a California-based prison gang formed in that state’s prison system during the 1960s.
By striking plea deals with some of the defendants, Justice Department prosecutors appear to be setting the stage to have some members of the enterprise testify against their former co-conspirators in exchange for lighter sentences under “substantial assistance” provisions of sentencing guidelines.
Late last year, the Justice Department withdrew its option of seeking the death penalty in the case. Still, many of the defendants face life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The case began with an initial racketeering conspiracy indictment brought in November 2012 against 36 members of the “violent, whites-only prison-based gang with thousands of members operating” in and out of prisons throughout Texas and elsewhere. Since then, there have been two superseding indictments, as prosecutors fined-turned their cases against remaining defendants, using a secret grand jury and cooperating defendants and witnesses.
The federal racketeering law allows prosecutors to include multiple crimes in one all-encompassing indictment. ( continue to full post… )
Two filmmakers are hard at work putting the finishing touches on a documentary about Leith, N.D., the town where neo-Nazi Craig Cobb had begun buying properties to establish a white supremacist enclave far away from the multicultural cities.
Here’s a preview of the film.
Christopher Walker, a producer, director and editor for the documentary, and his filmmaking partner, Michael Nichols, said they started following the story last year after this blog uncovered the first details of Cobb’s plans.
Cobb’s pipe dream appears to have been permanently snuffed out when he was arrested in November for terrorizing residents during an armed stroll around the tiny town. He now sits in jail under $1 million bail.
The Brooklyn-based filmmakers described their documentary as “a short film offering a glimpse into a town struggling for sovereignty against one man’s extremist vision.”