The Southern Poverty Law Center seeks a Community Advocate to join its Montgomery, Alabama office. The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Our Legal Department works on cases involving the rights of children, prisoners, immigrants, the LGBT community, victims of hate crimes, and issues affecting economically disadvantaged communities. This position will focus primarily on our work relating to prison issues.
We are looking to hire a community advocate to investigate issues relating to prisons in Alabama and conduct advocacy and public education on behalf of prisoners.
Primary Job Functions:
- Investigate and document complaints by prisoners
- Field complaints and conduct case development
- Provide support on Center cases
- Research and write informational materials
- Work with education experts and school personnel to bring about school discipline reform
- Facilitate and present “Know Your Rights” trainings on topics of concern
- Mobilize and support community partners and families of children to advocate for juvenile justice and education policy change
- Mobilize and support community partners to advocate for reforms to consumer lending practices
Qualifications – Education and Related Work Experience:
- College degree
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience with community organizing, outreach, or mobilization
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Computer knowledge
- Significant previous community organizing and community mobilization experience highly desired
- Position requires travel and work on evenings and weekends
Please submit the following documents as one attachment: a cover letter, resume, three references to:
Southern Poverty Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.