The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a nationally known nonprofit organization located in Montgomery, Alabama, seeks a Digital Media Director. The SPLC is a dynamic organization that advocates for social change through litigation, public policy advocacy, and education. We are looking for a positive, energetic, proactive, person to join our team of enthusiastic communication professionals.
The Digital Media Director is SPLC’s lead online strategist and advocate. This position is responsible for managing our online voice by creating, publishing, and curating content across websites, social media outlets, blogs, and email channels. The Digital Media Director supervises the Digital Media Associate and contributes to growing our audience, identifying opportunities to join conversations, establishing connections with key influencers, and driving engagement.
An interest in applying emerging web technologies and trends to the SPLC’s mission is appreciated. The candidate must have a strong passion for advancing the cause of social justice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide vision and direction for SPLC’s online communications through its websites, social media and digital platforms, ensuring that content supports SPLC’s litigation, education and advocacy strategies
- Grow SPLC’s web presence
- Develop and implement SPLC social media strategy
- Propose ideas and create content to promote SPLC’s mission
- Manage organization-wide web projects
- Manage bulk email operations
- Work with departmental directors, including the Design and IT directors, managers and staff to ensure appropriate use of web presence
- Analyze SPLC’s web traffic and measure the impact of SPLC’s web presence
- Manage and oversee web-related vendors
- A minimum of five years developing and implementing digital communications for nonprofit, advocacy or political organizations
- Proficiency in social media practices and personally active in social media
- Experience managing a content-rich web presence that includes websites, social media, and bulk e-mail
- Substantial experience managing content and development teams
- Substantial experience managing multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent writing skills as well as the ability to present and explain technical and business information
- Understanding of online marketing concepts, especially content marketing
- Expert understanding of web industry best practices regarding IA, usability, content and functionality
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- HTML and image-editing skills
- Fluency in SEO concepts
- Google Analytics and other measurement tools
- CMS experience using various software suites such as Wordpress and Drupal
- Experience with copyediting and use of style guidelines
- Knowledge of web analytics; experience creating information dashboards
- Familiarity with online marketing systems like Blackbaud and Convio is a plus
About Southern Poverty Law Center:
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is a nationally known non-profit organization that combats hate, intolerance, and discrimination. With a budget of $30 million, a staff of 200, and offices in five states, the SPLC is a dynamic organization that advocates for social change through litigation, public policy advocacy, and education. The SPLC legal team has litigated numerous landmark civil rights cases, including cases in the Supreme Court and cases that have put major hate groups out of business. It also engages in a wide variety of non-litigation advocacy activities. The SPLC's educational projects have touched the lives of millions of students and won numerous awards, including two Oscars. The SPLC's investigative team exposes the activities of hate groups throughout the nation. Read more at www.splcenter.org.
The Center offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including fully paid health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Interested candidates should send a résumé, cover letter, and three references to: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=8212891
The Southern Poverty Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of rate, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.