The Southern Poverty Law Center seeks an attorney to join its New Orleans, Louisiana office. The Center is a national non-profit organization dedicated to reducing bigotry and oppression through education and litigation. Currently, the Center’s areas of legal advocacy include juvenile justice, immigrant justice, education reform, LGBT rights, criminal justice reform, and combating hate groups.For additional information, visit our website at http://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in litigation or advocacy.
- Federal court litigation experience or time spent as a federal court clerk.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Initiative, vision, and a strong, demonstrated commitment to the struggle for social justice, especially to criminal justice reform and/or education reform.
- Willingness to develop and lead a campaign for special education and justice reform, including media and legislative advocacy, public policy advocacy, public education, and litigation.
- Membership in the Louisiana bar or the willingness to immediately sit for the next Louisiana bar exam.
This position provides a very competitive salary and excellent benefits, including a generous 401 (k) plan. To apply for the position, please send a cover letter and resume and three references to https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=5885881, by August 9, 2013.
Due to the high volume of applications received by the Center, the legal department is unable to respond to inquiries by telephone
The Southern Poverty Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance