The Southern Poverty Law Center, a leading civil rights organization located in Montgomery, Alabama, seeks a Planned Giving Officer. The Planned Gift Officer will be responsible for identifying prospective planned gift donors and is expected to spend at least 50% of time traveling, approximately two weeks of every month. The Officer will visit current donors encouraging them to support the Southern Poverty Law Center’s (SPLC’s) advocacy initiatives on the local, regional and national levels through completed planned gifts and estate planning vehicles.
The Planned Giving Officer will work collaboratively with senior SPLC leadership and a team of fundraising professionals. Reports to the Development and Planned Giving Directors.
- Bachelor's degree required; law degree preferred; tax law degree or estate planning background a plus.
- Minimum 5 years fundraising experience (or related field) with an emphasis on effective relationship building;
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and knowledge of tax law relating to charitable giving, both current and planned, including trusts and estates;
- Ability to work remotely and navigate in major cities and to work evenings and weekends as necessary;
- Proficient in computer skills, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills required, with public presentation experience;
- Ability to creatively problem solve while managing a portfolio of approximately 100 planned gift prospects each year;
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment;
- Ability to prepare and support senior leaders for donor events;
- Sense of humor coupled with a strong work ethic;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
The Center offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, salary history, and references through the on-line application link. Deadline for applications is until the position is filled.
Please CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and references.
The Southern Poverty Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation