Only one in six immigrants detained in the Southeast has access to an attorney in removal proceedings.
These proceedings will determine whether they have a right to remain in the United States, to live the lives they have built here alongside their families, or whether they are forced to return to a country they may not even recognize as home. For some, winning or losing is a matter of life or death.
The Southeast Immigrant Freedom Initiative aims to safeguard due process by providing high-quality, pro bono legal representation to detained immigrants. We operate at four immigrant detention centers in the Deep South:
- Protect immigrants’ due process rights
- Challenge the deportation machine,
- Educate the public about immigrants and thereby change the narrative
- Hold law enforcement and detention facility personnel accountable for violations of immigrants’ civil rights
- Cultivate and expand attorney engagement.
For more information, or to get in touch, email us.