The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a leading civil rights organization headquartered in Montgomery, Ala., seeks a communications associate to advance its exciting advocacy initiatives bringing social justice to the Deep South and to the nation. Reporting to the communications director and working collaboratively with a team of professionals, the communications associate will enhance the SPLC’s programmatic efforts and position the SPLC as a resource for the media and policy.
- Substantial experience garnering national and local media coverage;
- Experience in social, political, or legislative campaigns;
- Exceptional communications skills, including clear, concise writing and ability to frame complex issues for the media and public;
- Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectivelywith staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment;
- Experience in social media;
- Ability to prioritize activities and work under deadline pressure;
- Sense of humor coupled with a strong work ethic;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice; and
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and four years related work experience.
Primary Job Functions:
- Secure coverage of the SPLC’s program activities through outreach to the media;
- Recognize and maximize opportunities in the news cycle;
- Write and edit press releases, op-eds and other materials;
- Assist with message development for SPLC’s issues and activities;
- Manage, expand and maintain database of media contacts; and
- Monitor, analyze and report results and outcomes of department’s efforts.
This is a full-time position based in Montgomery, Alabama. Salary is competitive, and the Center offers an exceptional benefits package. Send a résumé, at least two writing samples, references and a letter outlining qualifications to the link provided.
The Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.