Employment Discrimination

Discrimination in the workplace is illegal! Title VII of the Civil Rights Act is the federal law that protects workers against discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin. This law protects people working in a place with 15 or more employees, but some exceptions do apply. You should contact our office or a lawyer in your state to find out if you are covered by the law.

It is illegal to discriminate against someone for one of the reasons listed above. There are many ways employers can illegally discriminate against someone. Some of these ways are: in the hiring and firing, job assignments or employee classification, in compensation or other terms and conditions of employment. The terms and conditions of employment include such things as opportunity for advancement/promotion, work rules, and other benefits like retirement plans.

In addition to Title VII, there are other laws that protect workers against discrimination based on their age or disability.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is the federal government's agency that protects workers from employment discrimination. If you feel you are being discriminated against, call our office and we can help you find the EEOC office near you. You must usually make a complaint with the EEOC within 180 days of the discriminatory act. It is important to file a charge of discrimination as soon as possible to ensure that you are covered by the law.

The federal law applies in the whole country, but some states also have laws that protect against discrimination. These laws might protect you if you work in a company with fewer than 15 people. They may also prohibit discrimination for other reasons, like marital status or political affiliation. If a state has an anti-discrimination law, an individual may have 300 days to file a charge with the EEOC if they first file a complaint with an authorized state agency. A person may also have a longer filing time to make a complaint with the state agency under the state law. In addition, some states allow a person to file a case directly in state court without first having to file a charge of discrimination.

Consult with a lawyer in your state if you think that you have been discriminated against to learn more about the state laws where you live and all other information about filing a discrimination complaint.