Skip to main content Accessibility

Gifts of Stock and Securities

Appreciated securities or mutual fund shares that you’ve owned for more than one year are excellent charitable gifts. 

Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:

  • A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
  • Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
  • Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.

Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits.

Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to the SPLC is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.

How to Donate Stock

Each stock gift we handle strengthens our programmatic work while providing tax benefits for supporters. Click here to complete your stock distribution form to send to your broker or follow these step-by-step instructions to help you take advantage of this gift planning opportunity:

Stock held by a broker

1. Give your broker the following information to transfer a gift of stock to the SPLC:

  • The SPLC’s brokerage account is with Stifel, Nicolaus & Co, Inc.
  • The SPLC’s account number is 22024754 and the DTC number is 0793.

2. Either you or your broker must contact us online or call 1-888-414-7752 with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.

Stock certificate held by a supporter

1. Contact us to inform the SPLC you are making a gift of stock.

2. Using registered mail, send the unendorsed securities to:

Southern Poverty Law Center
Planned Giving Department
400 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104

2. In a separate envelope to the same address, send:

  • A letter stating you wish to contribute the securities to the SPLC, including the name and number of shares of each stock; and
  • a signed, but otherwise blank, stock power form. (Contact us if you need a blank form.)

How to Donate Other Securities

To donate mutual fund shares or other securities, please contact the Planned Giving Department for details.

Please inform us if your stock gift will be eligible for an employer matching gift contribution. Search here to see if your gift is eligible.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please call the Planned Giving Department, toll free, at 1-888-414-7752 or contact us online.

We recommend that you consult with your attorney or tax advisor for the various tax benefits and restrictions that may apply to your specific situation. We are available to you and your advisors to answer questions or help arrange a planned gift to the SPLC.