We are relieved that the ringleaders of the Malheur occupation are now in custody.
The tragic loss of life is not surprising given that the armed insurrection has reached this point. It is critical that the federal government prosecute those involved in the Oregon standoff so that the antigovernment movement understands that there is a price to pay for their reckless and unlawful behavior. The failure to do so in Bunkervillle in 2014 emboldened not only Cliven Bundy’s sons, but the entire movement, and led to the situation we’re facing today. We hope that the remaining occupiers and law enforcement reach a peaceful resolution.
-- Heidi Beirich, Southern Poverty Law Center
For previous Hatewatch coverage regarding the Bundy occupation see the following:
- Armed Occupiers at Oregon Refuge Rejected Offers to Leave or Negotiate
- Possible Federal Crimes Numerous at Oregon Refuge Take-over
- After Three Weeks, The FBI Promises ‘Deliberate and Measured’ Response to Oregon Standoff
- War in the West: The Bundy Ranch Standoff and the American Radical Right
- Antigovernment militia groups grew by more than one-third in last year
- Oregon Militants Try to Recruit a ‘Constitutional’ Sheriff From Neighboring County, But Fail
- Antigovernment Extremists in Oregon Now Plan Their Own Justice System
Photo credit: AP Photo/Keith Ridler